Thank you Ann for one of the many recipes you shared with me over the years.
Christmas came in a fashion, but considering I was fighting off a cold for two weeks prior, and then we had this kitchen flood, my annual Christmas bake off went by the wayside. Then on the 23rd I rushed out and bought a flat of goodies from the bakery. Most disappointing it was; it looked good but tasted less than exciting and most of our favourites were not among them. There was a certain déjà vu in the whole experience. Such as the almond roca was missing. It was a good call though, because by Boxing Day I was feeling rather unwell and my wretchedness peeked over New Years. I couldn’t even manage a happy new year post. I am still hacking and miserable, but finally feeling on the mend with a little more energy. I brought out my Norwex paraphernalia yesterday and started to clean the kitchen. Today it will be the fridge and under the sink that will get a good all over. Later I will phone my far away new friend and then make a small batch of almond roca for my old love since we are all out of Purdy’s chocolates our daughter and son in law so generously supplied us with for the holidays. My Christmas rerun post did not really count, so this is recipe #700. The intention was 400 recipes and look where it got me. This just means loads of editing when the time comes. I hope I will live long enough to actually get some of this printed. The recipe collection has grown to such proportions that the cookbook will have to be broken up into two books at the very least... and still I have plans to cook a little bit more. But don’t expect me to get back on a cooking spree just yet, I still don’t have a working dishwasher. The kitchen flood we had in December is still drying out between three layers of floorboard and we are just crossing our fingers that no cabinets or floor tiles will have to be raised. Ahhh... almond roca! There should be no Christmas without you.
18 squares of honey graham wafers
1 cup flaked almonds
1 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups pure, dark chocolate chips
• This is a no bake confection, but just trusts me: and turn the oven to 350F.
• Fully line a 9X13 inch baking pan or a small, rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper. Paper all 4 sides and leave two overhangs for easy grasping. Don’t omit this step or the roca will have to be hacked apart and broken up by hand.
• Line the pan with honey grahams.
• Sprinkle the top with flaked almonds.
• Place the butter and the brown sugar in a saucepan.
• Bring to a boil.
• Reduce heat to medium and boil for exactly 3 minutes. Keep stirring continuously. Be careful you are cooking candy.
• Pour the hot candy over the almond layer.
• Drop the chocolate chips on the top.
• Here comes the secret for a lovely smooth top.
• Place the baking pan in the preheated oven for 5 to10 minutes.
• Remove from oven and spread the melted chocolate with a wide icing knife. Be mindful not to disturb the almond flakes.
• Fully chill the roca.
• Remove the pan from the fridge.
• Grasp the parchment overhangs and lift the roca onto a cutting board.
• Cut to desired shapes with a sharp chef’s knife. Wipe the blade between each cut, otherwise you will drag cookie crumbs on top of the chocolate.
• Store the roca in a metal cookie tin between layers of wax or parchment paper.
• Place in the fridge. You may freeze the roca, but it will loose it’s shiny lustre.
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ► 2014 (96)
- ▼ 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (202)