11.6.12

BEEF CURRY


The color could have been fiercer, because all I could find in the freezer was Madras curry powder for chicken. This curry has the mildest of spiciness, not hot, but it is not bland either. If you like heat, throw in some green chilies.

I don’t make my own curry powder, there is an East Indian market nearby and I get my supplies there. They make their own curry powders and are always fresh. I keep the curry powders in plastic containers in the freezer, just like my Hungarian paprika. If you have no access to authentic curry mixtures, make your own, because no good curry powder comes in a tin, a bottle or a packet from a large supermarket.

BEEF CURRY
4 Tbsp peanut oil
500g round steak
1 cup water
1 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 Tbsp grated ginger
2-1/2 Tbsp curry powder
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp turmeric
1 cup tomatoes, diced
2 carrots, sliced
1 cup canned coconut milk
handful of chopped coriander leaves to serve with

• Trim the round steak and chop into cubes.
• Place 2 Tbsp peanut oil in a large non-stick skillet.
• Add the meat and brown, turning until no pink is showing.
• Add 1 cup of water and slowly sauté the meat until tender. Add more water if needed.
• When the meat is tender, transfer to a dish and set it aside.
• Add the remaining peanut oil to the skillet and add the onions.
• Sauté the onions until they are soft.
• Stir in the crushed garlic, grated ginger, curry powder, turmeric and the sugar.
• Cook for two minutes.
• Return the beef to the skillet.
• Add the carrots and cook stirring for one minute, to coat in spices.
• Add the crushed tomatoes and the coconut milk.
• Bring the curry to a simmer.
• Cover and simmer for fifteen minutes.
• Remove from heat and let the curry rest for ten more minutes.
• Top with chopped coriander leaves.
• Serve with rice.
 

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!