17.10.11

POPPY SEED CHIFFON CAKE

This cake is from Claudia's Cookbook. I bookmarked it over a year ago; it was time I made it. I know a good cake when I see one. Since I might not be as good a baker as Claudia, I lined the bottom of my cake pan. Don’t you just hate it when a chiffon cake looses its bottom? 

I made my buttercream from scratch though. I don’t use anything packaged, unless I really, really have to. The lemon juice and the salt are essential components of this buttercream. They effectively neutralize the sweetness plus give a bit of extra punch to the flavour. I have yet to try using salted butter, salted butter in my experience don’t seem to work with buttercreams.

POPPY SEED CHIFFON CAKE
1/2 cup poppy seeds
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
7 egg yolks
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
7 egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda

• Soak the poppy seeds in 1 cup water for 2 hours.
• Line the bottom only of a 10-inch two-piece tube pan with parchment.
• Don’t line the sides.
• Place the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
• Whisk it well with a balloon whisk.
• Make a well in the center.
• Add the egg yolks, vanilla, the poppy seeds - water mixture and the vegetable oil.
• Beat to combine.
• In a separate large bowl, beat the egg whites, baking soda and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
• Gradually and very gently fold the beaten egg whites into the poppy seed batter.
• Pour the batter into a non-greased 10-inch two-piece tube pan.
• With a knife cut vertical sections into the batter.
• Bake at 325F for 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
• Carefully position the cake pan upside down over 3 ramekins.
• Cool the cake in pan completely. Not just so-so, completely!
• Cut around the edges with a thin sharp knife.
• Gently remove cake from the pan and place inverted on a large round platter.
• Spread the cake with Swiss Lemon Buttercream.

SWISS LEMON BUTTERCREAM
1 cup sugar
4 large egg whites
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/8tsp salt
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

• Whisk egg whites and sugar together in a big metal bowl over a pot of simmering water. But make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.
• Keep whisking the egg whites and the sugar no sugar granules remain when you rub the mixture between your fingers.
• Transfer the mixture to a deep bowl and whip it until the cream has doubled in size.
• Add the salt and the fresh lemon juice.
• Add the butter and whip at the highest speed. Buttercream will be ready when the consistency suddenly changes from foamy to buttery.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!