16.4.11

BROWN EYED SUSANS

I had this “Brown Eyed Susans” recipe it seems like forever, ever since I got my first Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook. I don’t remember the year, and the front pages are gone now.

Using the Hershey Kisses of course altered things a bit. The original recipe called for chocolate mint candy wafers. Now anyone who knows me knows I don’t like mint, I will take it in toothpaste, but not with my food. And that’s why I never made this recipe. It also called for pressing the candy wafers into the dough prior to baking. Upon reflection I thought it would be simpler and much neater to press the Hershey Kisses into the hot cookies after baking… Well they turned out lovely, though not quite as lovely as my brown eyed daughter, Susan is.  

BROWN EYED SUSANS
1-3/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cups butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 pkg. Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Kisses

• Whisk together the flour, salt and the baking powder and set aside.
• Beat the butter and sugar for 4 minutes until light and fluffy.
• Add the egg and vanilla extract; beat to combine.
• Add the flour mixture to the butter and stir until flour is fully incorporated.
• Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill for 1/2 hour.
• Remove from fridge.
• With the plastic wrap still around it, shape the dough into a 1-1/2 inh diameter roll.
• Place in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
• Remove and quickly slice the dough roll into 36 rounds.
• Place rounds on parchment lined cookie sheets.
• Bake at 400F for 8-10 minutes.
• Remove from oven and press an unwrapped chocolate kiss into the center of every cookie.
• Move the cookies from the cookie sheet to a cooling rack.
  Yields 3 dozen cookies, just right for a bag of Hersey’s Kisses.
   

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!