2+2 cups bread flour
1-1/2 Tbsp instant dry yeast
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk, lukewarm
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup butter, slightly melted
2 whole eggs + 1 egg yolk
1/8 cup melted butter
1/3 cup good quality unsweetened cocoa
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg white
• Assemble all the ingredients.
• In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of bread flour with the remaining dough ingredients.
• Beat the dough with and electric beater for 4 minutes.
• If you have a dough hook attachment, replace the regular beater. Otherwise, the rest of the beating will have to be done manually.
• Gradually [not all at once] incorporate the remaining 2 cups of bread flour into the yeasty mixture.
• Knead the dough with the dough hook for 5 more minutes or knead the dough on a lightly floured kneading surface for 10 minutes by hand. This is important to develop the gluten.
• Place the dough into a greased bowl, cover, and let it rise in a warm, draft free place until tripled.
• Punch down dough and let it rest for 10 minutes.
• Divide the dough and roll into two 10X15 inch rectangles.
• Brush the rectangles with melted butter, leaving a 1/2inch margin all around.
• Sprinkle the fillings over the buttered area spreading it evenly.
• Fold the ends inward and roll up to enclose the filling.
• Place the loaves in greased bread-tins, or on a parchment lined baking sheet.
and let them rise until doubled.
• Beat the reserved egg white with 1tsp water and brush the tops.
• Bake the loaves separately in a preheated 350F oven for 25 minutes.
• Remove loaf from the pan and cool on racks.