500 g [1 lb] chestnuts, roasted
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup water
1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
1 cup sugar + 1/4 cup water
1 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/4 tsp salt
a shot of rum
1-1/2 cups whipping cream for topping
1 Tbsp sugar
• Clean the roasted chestnuts according to directions.
• Place the peeled chestnuts in a medium pot.
• Add the milk and water and make sure every chestnut is covered.
• Scrape the vanilla seeds into the liquid and add the pod segment as well.
• On low heat cook the chestnuts for 30-45 minutes or until soft.
• In a separate pot combine 50 g sugar and 50 ml water.
• Bring to boil and cook until sugar completely dissolves.
• Pour the cooked chestnuts through a sieve, discarding liquid and vanilla pod.
• Transfer the chestnuts to a food processor.
• Add the syrup, salt, melted butter and the whipping cream.
• Add a shot of rum.
• Puree until very smooth.
• Place in a covered container and chill in the fridge for several hours.
• Before serving, beat the whipping cream and sweeten with 1 Tbsp sugar.
• Put the chilled chestnut puree through a potato ricer.
• Place a small mound of chestnut puree in a serving dish.
• Top with a generous mound of sweetened whipped cream.