1 cup icing sugar
1 cup ground almonds
3 oz (90 g) bittersweet chocolate, grated
1/3 cup dark rum
1 tsp vanilla
variety of coverings
• Line trays with waxed paper and set aside.
• In large bowl whisk together icing sugar, almonds and chocolate.
• Gradually stir in 1/4 cup of the rum and vanilla to form a mound.
• Consistency should be light and moist, but not watery.
• Press together with clean hands.
• Chill until firm enough to roll, about 15 minutes.
• Roll a teaspoonful into balls.
• Moisten and wipe hands with damp cloth as needed.
• Place on prepared trays.
• Arrange a variety of coverings in shallow bowls.
• Pour remaining rum into a bowl.
• One by one, roll balls in the rum then in desired covering.
• Press lightly to adhere.
• Let rum balls dry on tray for 1 hour.
• Refrigerate until firm.
To make ahead: Layer rum balls between waxed paper in airtight containers and refrigerate or freeze for up to 1 month.
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!