18.9.17

OVERNIGHT BUNS

These take the guesswork out of rising dough. I can’t stress enough how effortless these buns are. If you need  success with bread dough, this surely is the one to try. Like many bakers, I went through the no kneed phase and found no-kneed-breads and buns wanting. I came to the conclusion that when it comes to texture and longevity, nothing will replace  thorough kneading aka the elastic dough. I don’t think much of unrefined rustic breads and while I still have them among my recipes, I can’t remember the last time I made one. The no-kneed-bread will go down in the history of culinary arts as a fad just like meringue mushroom caps decorated cakes, jellied salads, frosted ribbon loaves and the horror of horrors, the coq au vin [I call it slimy chicken]. If you are any way yeast dough challenged, try this, I can’t think of a way to ruin these buns sort of a power outage.
OVERNIGHT BUNS
3-1/2 cups flour
2 tsp instant dry yeast
3 Tbsp dry milk powder
2 Tbsp sugar
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter, soft
1 cup water
1/2 cup lukewarm milk
1+1 Tbsp butter, melted for brushing

  • Combine ingredients and make a very soft, pliable dough. If you are kneading by hand, here is a shortcut: throw the dough down on the counter 100 times, this really helps to develop the gluten.
  • Place the dough in a greased bowl and let it rise for one to two hours or until almost doubled.
  • Line a larger baking pan with parchment paper.
  • Punch down and divide dough into 15 equal pieces and round each into a ball.
  • Brush the tops with 1 Tbsp of melted butter.
  • Cover completely with plastic wrap and a clean kitchen towel and refrigerate overnight.
  • Take the rolls out, uncover and let them sit on the counter for 15 minutes.
  • Meanwhile preheat the oven to 350F.
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 22-24 minutes or until lightly browned.
  • Brush with the remaining melted butter if desired.
  • Remove to wire racks to cool.


Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!