8.9.17

FLUFFY DINNER ROLLS

Pass the buns please! I do not recall my grandmother or my mother ever baking them. Buns came from the “Tejcsarnok”, fresh every morning with our milk. We had it for breakfast or took it to school.

 A basket of fresh buns, milk and few milk products wait by the door of the Milk Store 1960  Fortepan

In the west buns are often served with dinner. I don’t think my friend, Ann cooks for company without her signature buns. But I am not convinced it makes sense to serve buns with Christmas dinner or at formal events. Though I consent that a nice bun will always jazz up a humdrum meal... and for that, these soft, fluffy dinner rolls are perfect. And you can always skip the meal and concentrate on the buns.

FLUFFY DINNER ROLLS
3-1/2 cups flour
2-1/4 tsp instant yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup dry milk powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup lukewarm water
1 egg
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup butter, slightly melted
2 Tbsp butter

  • In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted combine flour, yeast, sugar, dry milk powder and salt.
  • Add the lukewarm water [just a little warmer than room temperature], the egg , the yolks and the slightly melted butter.  
  • Beat on low speed until dough forms.
  • Change to a dough hook and continue kneading on medium high speed until smooth and elastic.
  • Transfer the dough to a large buttered bowl.
  • Turn the dough over and cover with a clean dish towel.
  • Let the dough to rise until doubled.
  • Preheat oven to 375F.
  • Line a 13×9 inch baking pan with parchment paper
  • Shape 12 balls and arrange them in the prepared baking pan.
  • Brush the tops with melted butter and let the buns rise until doubled.
  • Sprinkle the tops with a little flour and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!