- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and the nutmeg.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the sour cream, egg, sugar and the milk.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until a soft dough forms.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the oil on medium heat. Do not heat it up quickly and then turn it down. The temperature has to be even and steady.
- Using a regular dinner spoon, scoop up half a Tablespoon of dough and push the dough into the oil with a finger.
- Repeat until 10 to12 dough balls are in the oil. As the dough swells, it will flip over on its own.
- Using a slotted spoon, keep turning the dough balls in the oil until it begins to get a little colour. When the tentacles have a nice golden brown colour, quickly transfer the doughnut holes to a paper lined platter.
- When all the doughnut holes are fried, transfer them to a clean bowl and sprinkle the top with your choice of glaze or icing sugar or grated chocolate and toss.
- I used a vanilla glaze:
- Stir together 1 cup icing sugar, 1 Tbsp honey and 1 to 2 Tbsp of milk.
QUICK DOUGHNUT HOLES
Wildfires were burning all around us, it was hot and smoky in
too long and not even central air could filter out all the smoke that seeped
into the house. I did the rain dance, but nothing worked. Finally, finally a
storm was brewing. Temperatures dipped and I stood on the porch inhaling the fresh
air as the rain began to pour. It turned into a major storm with flash floods
all around town. Yesterday was so cold we had to switch the thermostat from air
to heat. The air smelt magnificent.
I put the kettle on and I made a platter of doughnut holes. The heat should return in a few days, but for the time being doughnut holes were perfect. These require no rising time and yet they are light and airy. But the best part is they were on the platter before I could have gone to Tim’s for a pack of timbits.
You scoop the dough into the hot oil, it plops down in a sausage shape, but then it grows into round balls. The funniest thing is to watch the balls flip over as they swell. I used a smallish heavy pot for frying to cut down on oil. There should be at least 2 inches of oil in the pot. I started with 2 cups of extra light olive oil and in the end 1-2/3 cup remained. The trick is to heat up the oil on medium heat and maintain the same temperature throughout the frying. When the little tentacles began to brown, the doughnut holes are cooked through.
1/2 cup + 1/3 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 pinch of nutmeg
1/3 cup sour cream [I used 14%]
1 Tbsp sugar
1/8 cup milk [I used 1 %]
2 cups of extra light olive oil for frying
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.
- QUICK DOUGHNUT HOLES
- APPLE WALNUT SQUARES - ALMÁS DIÓS PITE
- CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIES
- CHERRY CRUMBLE PIE BARS
- STRAWBERRY BARS - EPRES SÜTI
- CHOCOLATE CHIP GRANOLA BARS
- STUFFED PORK LOIN
- BEETROOT FETA AND WALNUT SALAD
- FLAKY ALMOND SQUARES
- STUFFED MUSHROOMS
- RED WINE RICE WITH DUCK
- GANACHE SANDWICH COOKIES
- EASY CHERRY DANISHES
- YO 5 MINUTE SUPPER
- STUFFED WILD SALMON
- CHERRY KUCHEN BARS
- DILLED SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH SOUR CREAM - KAPROS T...
- PASTA WITH TOMATOES AND SPINACH
- HOMEMADE CHERRY PIE FILLING
- LEMON FETA ROASTED POTATOES
- COCONUT CAKE
- BAKED BEANS
- PASTA WITH PEAS - ZÖLDBORSÓS TÉSZTA
- FRESH CHERRY SAUCE
- WILTED BEET GREENS
- APPLE AND BEETROOT SALAD
- CHERRY STRUDEL - CSERESZNYÉS RÉTES
- ▼ July (27)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (178)
- ► 2010 (198)