image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

14.5.14

SPRITZ COOKIES


I always wanted to make spritz cookies for Christmas. I had cookie press on my wish list for years. Some years I forgot about it. About two years ago finally I bought one, I spent a lot of money on it, but it turned out to be the most useless gadget ever invented by man. Long I waited for it… but disposal was swift. Then I tried making spritz cookies with a pastry bag, but I thought my hand will fall off.

 

Today I found this recipe on Food.com; and I thought I will give spritz cookies one more try. The search is over; I found the ideal spritz cookie recipe for using a pastry bag. Even I can handle it [my hands were never strong and they are worse now]. Making the spritzes was easy-peasy as a squeeze. With 224 day before Christmas, I am starting early. 

1 large egg yolk 
1 Tbsp heavy cream 
1 tsp vanilla 
1 cup unsalted butter, softened 
2/3 cup sugar 
1/4 tsp salt 
2 cups flour 

• Preheat oven to 375F. 
• In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter, sugar and salt at medium high speed until light, fluffy and pale in color. 
• Reduce speed and add the egg yolk cream and vanilla. 
• Beat until thoroughly combined. 
• Gradually add flour and mix until just combined. Do not over mix or the cookies will be tough. 
• Fill a large pastry bag with half of the dough and twist the top to close. 
• Pipe cookies on cookie sheet 2 inches apart. 
• Decorate with sprinkles if desired. 
• Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden brown. 
• Cool on baking racks and store in an airtight container



4 comments:

  1. The free hand cookie circles look cute and rustic. :) As long as they taste good, they should be fine.

    I was curious about spritz cookies as well and found an old cookie press of my mom's that dispensed a precise amount of dough. It worked but had a limited number of patterns so I tried the same dough in a different press without the pre-set dispenser ... I couldn't get the cookies of a consistent size. I know I posted a picture of them but I can't find them in my LJ. I even coloured half of the dough green and flavoured it with mint for a Christmas theme. I'll keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were sweet and buttery... so I gave them away :-)

      Maybe your mom's cookie press was still well made. Nothing is the same anymore. Yesterday was really hot and we made our seasonal trek to Dairy Queen. My ice cream sundae was gross. It never saw cream and the hot fudge on top curled and slid around and tasted like cheap cocoa and corn syrup. In one year they too became disgusting. Monsanto be damned. I never go back. I just don't get it - people keep putting on restaurant reviews, not that Dairy Queen ever hit the mark, but even the last gourmet meal we had was inedible bad too. I am not going out to eat again.

      Delete
    2. Sweet and buttery is good. I found my pictures of the spritz cookies and posted them in my post today. I used a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook recipe. I'll have to make them again one day. They were quite tasty and very easy to make with the cookie press.

      I haven't been to Dairy Queen in years though I still remember Blizzards with fondness as well as a couple of ice cream birthday cakes I had. I don't go to fast food places (McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King), in general, though I have been known to pick up a tub of KFC especially when my mom was still living with me. I haven't had KFC in a couple of years now. It's just cheaper and healthier to eat at home.

      Delete
    3. I agree the best meals are made at home.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive