23.3.14

CORN PUDDING

Corn pudding is classic comfort food; it goes really well with roast turkey or ham. The last time I made it was for Christmas and I make no apologies for all the cream and butter I used in it. Corn is a starch so I might as well go all out when I make this. 

Corn is native to the Americas. It is a basic starch like wheat, rice and potatoes. The only way we ate it in my family was corn on the cob with salt. We never put butter on it. Corn had many other uses in Hungary besides feeding the pigs. I have a feeling the corn in the old days was not as tender as it is today, I remember we boiled the corn for a long time. But since I learned to cook in Canada I learned the mantra, “from garden to table to boil for 8 minutes, salt it and slap lots of butter on it”. Yum! The puliszka or polenta was basically a peasant dish and nowhere did they do so much with cornmeal outside of the Americas than in Hungary. Again, it wasn't something my family ate, not because I was so well born, [my ancestors were trades people, musicians and service people], but because in all likelihood my grandma did not care for it. 

CORN PUDDING
 2/3 cup flour 
1/2 cup yellow corn meal 
3 Tbsp sugar 
1 Tbsp baking powder 
1/4 tsp salt 
2 eggs whisked 
1 cup sour cream 
1 cup heavy whipping cream 
2 Tbsp vegetable oil 
1/2 cup butter, melted 
1-1/2 cups water 
2 cup frozen corn 

• Preheat the oven to 350F. 
• In a large bowl combine flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt. 
• In a medium sized bowl combine the eggs, sour cream, whipping cream, oil and melted butter. 
• Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and whisk to combine. 
• Add the water and stir to combine. 
• Add the frozen corn and stir to combine. 
• Lightly oil a medium deep casserole dish and pour in the pudding. 
• Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes or until golden brown and set in the middle.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!