27.10.13

RUSSIAN CREAMCHEESE BUNS

Of what I learned about ethnic cooking is that a recipe may or may not be authentic even within the perimeters of regional variations. It is certainly true of Hungarian cuisine; it must be so with others. Without knowing I could not give these buns an anglicized Russian title. These may be in the style of or even the real thing, but I wouldn’t know the difference. Nevertheless they are delicious. I made them yesterday and maybe seven is left…the man can’t seem to keep away from them. I found it on mom’s dish.com. I assumed however that the filling would produce a huge leftover, so I cut it down and in the end I had the perfect amount to fill all the buns. Similarly, I had no farmers cheese, only cottage cheese and so I added some flour to stabilize the filling. It’s a good thing, because cottage cheese is a staple in North America and is far less expensive than the often hard to find farmers cheese.
 
RUSSIAN CREAMCHEESE BUNS 
Buns:
3 eggs
1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp mayonnaise [not light]
1-1/2 Tbsp instant yeast
4-1/2 to 5 cups flour
2 cups lukewarm milk
3 Tbsp oil melted butter for greasing and buttering
1 egg for egg wash
Filling:
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup 33% cream cheese
1/8 cup sugar
1 pkg. vanilla sugar
1 egg
5 Tbsp flour
handful of raisins, optional
 
• Whisk together eggs, sugar, salt and mayonnaise.
• In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and yeast.
• Alternatively add the flour mixture and the lukewarm milk to the egg mixture half a cup at the time.
• With a dough hook, beat the dough for 7-8 minutes until the dough clears the side of the bowl. Dough should be very elastic
• Or beat vigorously with a large wooden spoon for ten minutes to develop the gluten.
• Transfer the dough to a lightly floured board and form into a ball.
• Place the dough in a well buttered bowl, turn over and let it rise for 1 hour.
• Meanwhile prepare the filling. • Combine ingredients, reserving the raisins.
• Line the baking sheets with parchment paper. [I used 3]
• After the dough rises, punch down and form into 30 balls.
• Arrange balls on the parchment lined baking sheets and press down, forming disks.
• Lightly butter the disks.
• Let the disks rise for 30 minutes and then press a cup into the dough creating a crater. • Fill the craters with the prepared filling and press a few raisins into the filling.
• Bake for 30 minutes or until light golden brown. Do not brown.
• Remove from the oven and immediately brush the sides with egg wash. This will make the sides of the buns soft while the bottoms remain crispy.






Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!