24.10.13

NO BAKE CHOCOLATE NUT BARS

From the age of five until I got married my family lived in a second storey small apartment in the busiest section of Budapest; in the VIIth District near the Keleti Railway Terminal. My father worked, ate and slept in that apartment. He had a tiny dental lab partitioned off our kitchen and worked day and night seldom going out. Those few occasions that he would leave to visit a friend or run a work related errand, he never came home empty handed. We looked forward to the little brown bag he would bring us from the cukorbolt [candy store]. Sometimes there were shelled hazelnuts, or chestnuts and once in a while he brought home some peanuts. I liked the peanuts, but I never took to peanut butter. Then last year I discovered Adams 100% Natural Peanut Butter. It has no added sugar, no stabilizer, no preservatives, no added shortening, less than 1% salt and best of all; it actually tastes like roasted peanuts, because essentially that is what Adams Peanut Butter is; mashed up roasted peanuts. I will never be a peanut butter fan, but I can take a little Adam’s now and then. The taste reminds me of Apa and those little brown bags.

My parents in the "new" lab a decade later
If you think this one was small you should have seen the old one 

NO BAKE CHOCOLATE NUT BARS
1/2 cup 100% natural peanut butter, smooth
1/2 cup organic tahini
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup light corn syrup
4 cups lightly crushed corn flakes
1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped almonds
1/2 cup finely shredded coconut
1 cup pure chocolate chips
 
• Line a 13X9 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
• Place the corn flakes, 1 cup of chopped almonds and the coconut in a large bowl.
• Next combine the peanut butter, tahini, brown sugar, corn syrup and butter in a saucepan.
• On medium heat bring the mixture to a slow simmer and simmer for 1 minute. Be careful not to burn it.
• Remove from the heat and stir into the corn flake mixture.
• When well combined, spread the mixture into the prepared pan, smoothing the top and pressing down. [I used a potato masher]
• Partially melt the chocolate chips in a microwave, and stir it smooth.
• Spread the top of the bar with the melted chocolate.
• While still hot, sprinkle the remaining almonds on the top.
• Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firmly set.
• Use a sharp knife to cut into bars.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!