image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

27.1.13

MAGIC COOKIE BARS


 
This Eagle Brand bar cookie was an old favourite when our kids were growing up. It's quick to prepare and chocolaty. Even those who don’t normally get excited about coconut will love these cookies. They are best with large flakes of coconut and with roughly chopped walnuts. If you use a food processor, chop the nuts with short spurts of pulse action. Use only sweetened condensed milk, the type of canned milk that is thick and syrupy. These bars are nice warm, but for best presentation and flavour serve them the following day if you can stand the wait.
 
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 [14 oz] can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 cups pure chocolate chips
1-1/3 cups large flaked coconut
1 cup roughly chopped nuts
 
• Heat the oven to 350F.
• Coat a 13x9-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
• Combine the graham cracker crumbs and butter.
• Press into bottom of prepared pan.
• Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over the crumb mixture.
• Layer evenly the chocolate chips, coconut and the nuts.
• Press down firmly.
• Bake the bar for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
• Cool.
• Cut into bars or diamonds.
• Store covered at room temperature.
 

5 comments:

  1. Oh I love these bars but never knew how they were made! My niece makes them every Christmas and I can't get enough of them! She calls them Hello Dollies, but then they might not be the same. Your bars look quite delicious and I'm sure would disappear very, very quickly in this house! Thanks for the recipe! There goes my diet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another winner to add to my Christmas baking list. I love using sweetened condensed milk at Christmas. I know I would love this just by reading the ingredient listing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peach Lady, there are many variations, this is the simplest of them all. You can add dried fruits and use other nuts. The constant are the graham crumbs, sweet condensed milk, coconuts and the chocolate chips. And yes, these do not last long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eva, these are yummy, but very simple to make and that is why I made them so often for my kids while growing up. Dessert was the most important part of the meal and yet I never seemed to have the time to make anything complicated. I never made them for Christmas, because we had them so often. But you are right, these would be perfect for Christmas, especially with a few dried cranberries scattered on top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The recipe for these that a friend shared with me years ago was also called "Hello Dollies". Yummy regardless what they're called.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive