20.11.12

FLOYDA'S BUTTERSCOTCH BROWNIES


My old Prince George neighbour Ellen Huget used to make the most delicious butterscotch brownies. I lost Ellen’s recipe years ago and every recipe I tried since was either too sweet or too dense for our liking. That is up until I happened onto a family website and I saw the recipe to these “not-too-sweet butterscotch brownies” by Floyda Mabel Steiner McClure. Oh my, I think I found Ellen’s butterscotch brownies! Floyda’s recipe called for dusting with icing sugar and ice cream. I put a caramel icing on the top, because that is how Ellen used to serve hers. Well if truth be told Ellen also put in currants, but I didn’t dare put that into an afterschool snack. Apple slices on a separate plate and “nothing touching” is as far as I can venture. With many thanks to the McClure family for sharing their heirloom butterscotch brownie; Floyda’s butterscotch brownies are nothing short of perfect.
 
FLOYDA'S BUTTERSCOTCH BROWNIES 
7/8 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup salted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts or 1/2 cup currants (optional)
1 batch caramel icing
 
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
• Grease a 9" or 8" round or square pan.
• Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
• In a separate bowl, cream butter and add sugar gradually to blend thoroughly.
• Stir in eggs and vanilla to butter/sugar mixture.
• Then stir in sifted ingredients.
• Add nuts if desired.
• Batter will be fairly smooth and thin.
• Spread batter in greased pan, bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
• Meanwhile prepare the caramel icing.
• Check the brownie for doneness with a toothpick. If toothpick is dry, remove brownies from oven.
• Cool and using an offset spatula spread the caramel icing over the top.
• Cut into 16 squares and serve.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!