1/2 cup sugar
2-1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
sprinkling of salt
3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp room temperature butter [not melted]
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup sour cream or kefir or yoghurt, buttermilk or heavy cream
• In a large mixing bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, baking powder and the salt.
• Add the butter into very small and add to the bowl.
• Rub the cold butter into the flour mixture. If you have a hand held wire pastry blender it works really well.
• Add the egg yolk and the sour cream and knead until the dough comes together. Resist the urge to add more liquid. If you keep working on it you will have a wonderful textured pastry that will not stick to the board.
• Flatten the dough into a disk and wrap it with plastic wrap.
• Place in the fridge for 1/2 hour or longer.
• After chilling the dough knead it on a floured board for a minute or two to warm it up a little.
• Lay a sheet of parchment paper corresponding in size to the baking pan you will be using.
• Place the dough on the paper and with lightly floured roller roll out the dough to 1 cm thickness.
• Transfer to the baking pan and reserve the paper for rolling the second layer.
• Linzer pastry bakes at 375F.