10.8.12

LEMON HERBED RICE

My grandmother wasn’t very good at cooking rice, hers was watery, but she did put a lot of fresh parsley in it when it was in season. I carried on with the tradition with my own version of herbed rice. I can buy fresh herbs throughout the year, I don’t grow them, plants always die on me, and the grower of the family is not interested in wintering herbs. He grows them and dries them for me. End of story. But dry herbs don’t compare to the fresh, so I sneak a package or two into the house every week and then keep it in the fridge bundled up in paper towels inside a plastic bag. They last longer that way. But in summer it is so easy. I just walk down to the garden and cut what I need. I love the summer… heat and all. When we lived in Prince Rupert, I remember every vacation was about chasing the sun; we would just drive until we found blue skies. We often ended up in the sunny Okanagan. Imagine my delight when we finally got a transfer to Kamloops. That was thirty three years ago and after that we never left.

LEMON HERBED RICE
1 batch of cooked rice
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh herbs: parsley, dill and chives
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 clove of garlic, very finely minced

• Cook the rice.
• Meanwhile wash and chop the herbs and mince the garlic.
• When the rice is ready, remove from heat.
• Add the herbs and the garlic.
• Squeeze fresh lemon juice on the top and toss.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!