image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

27.3.12

LEMON CAKE COOKIES


I think these would be great decorated with lemon curd, but since I was making several other cookies, I opted for the simple lemon glaze. I am not a fan of whoopie pies and I am notorious for changing cake cookies into crispy ones, but for some reason I kept the main premise of Anna Olson’s recipe and it was a surprise how delicious these cookies turned out to be. Olson’s cookies were bigger, flatter and slightly darker then mine, but I did take 1/2 cup of sour cream and some butter out of the recipe. I had two of these beauties already so now I am packing them away not to be tempted further.

Cookies:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest
2 egg yolks
1 egg
1 cup sour cream
2-1/2 cups cake and pastry flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Lemon Glaze:
1 1/2 cups icing sugar sifted
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted

• Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and stir in lemon zest.
• Beat in egg yolks and whole egg until fully incorporated.
• Stir in the sour cream.
• In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
• Add to wet ingredients and stir just until blended.
• Chill batter for 30 minutes, just to set butter a little.
• Preheat oven to 325F.
• Wet your hands every so often and form balls from a tablespoon of batter.
• Drop onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, leaving 2 inches between cookies.
• Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, just until the bottoms of the cookies turn golden brown.
• Allow to cool before icing.
• For icing, stir sifted icing sugar into lemon juice until smooth.
• Stir in melted butter.
• Spread the tops of the cookies with icing.
• Store the cookies between layers of parchment to prevent sticking.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I am starting to crave lemon desserts once more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some lemony things give me heartburn, but this cookie didn't! I froze it and just kept going to the freezer. It's all gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi what is pastry flour? Is it also called all purpose flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forget the pastry; "Cake and Pastry Flour" is essentially cake flour. It is very different from all purpose flour. I never figured out why it’s called cake AND pastry, because cake and pastry requires different types of flours. There is the actual cake flour under the Swans brand, but not every store carries it and it is much more expensive. Cake and pastry flour on the other hand is widely available in Canada so I end up using it more often than cake flour. But only use it for cakes.

      Delete
    2. Oh I realize why you asked. It was my mistake. I left the "cake and" from the recipe. Thank you so much for writing, I corrected the recipe.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive