27.3.12

LEMON CAKE COOKIES

I think these would be great decorated with lemon curd, but since I was making several other cookies, I opted for the simple lemon glaze. I am not a fan of whoopie pies and I am notorious for changing cake cookies into crispy ones, but for some reason I kept the main premise of Anna Olson’s recipe and it was a surprise how delicious these cookies turned out to be. Olson’s cookies were bigger, flatter and slightly darker then mine, but I did take 1/2 cup of sour cream and some butter out of the recipe. 

LEMON CAKE COOKIES
Cookies:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest
2 egg yolks
1 egg
1 cup sour cream
2-1/2 cups cake and pastry flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Lemon Glaze:
1 1/2 cups icing sugar sifted
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted

• Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and stir in lemon zest.
• Beat in egg yolks and whole egg until fully incorporated.
• Stir in the sour cream.
• In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
• Add to wet ingredients and stir just until blended.
• Chill batter for 30 minutes, just to set butter a little.
• Preheat oven to 325F.
• Wet your hands every so often and form balls from a tablespoon of batter.
• Drop onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, leaving 2 inches between cookies.
• Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, just until the bottoms of the cookies turn golden brown.
• Allow to cool before icing.
• For icing, stir sifted icing sugar into lemon juice until smooth.
• Stir in melted butter.
• Spread the tops of the cookies with icing.
• Store the cookies between layers of parchment to prevent sticking.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!