image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

24.3.12

HUNGARIAN FLAKY PASTRY


It seems every country has a version of flaky pastry. Hungarian flaky pastry is no different. It is quick to make and yet worthy of krémes. Roll it out to any configuration or simply bake a sheet and cut it up into the desired shape while it is hot. Pile fruit, custard or whipping cream on the top, its perfectly delicious.

Full Batch:
1-1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp flour
3/4 cup chilled hard margarine
1 pinch of salt
4 Tbsp cold water
4 tsp vinegar

Half Batch:
1 cup + 1 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp chilled hard margarine
3 Tbsp cold water
1 Tbsp vinegar

• In a large bowl, crumble the flour and the chilled margarine to fine crumbs.
• Mix in the salt.
• Add to a small dish the cold water and the vinegar.
• Pour the liquid over the pastry crumbs.
• Stir to combine and gradually form a rough ball.
• Generously flour a board and roll out the pastry into a thin rectangle.
• Roll up pastry and divide into 4 parts.
• Roll each division into a thin rectangle.
• Stack the four rectangles on top of one another.
• Chill for twenty minutes.
• Repeat rolling, dividing and stacking and chilling the dough one more time.
• Preheat the oven to 400F.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
• Roll out the chilled pastry.
• Cut to fit the parchment lined baking pan.
• Place the pastry on the prepared pan.
• Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown. Keep an eye on it, flaky pastry can bun very quickly.
• Within about 3-4 minutes, deflate the parts that swell up by pricking them with a fork.
• Remove from the oven.
• If baking a sheet pastry, immediately cut to the desired shape. Once the pastry cools, it is not possible to cut it without it breaking apart.













8 comments:

  1. Good Morning, Zsuzsa. Thanks for the recipe. I have a question so. What did you use margarine or butter, what is better for this recipe? In full recipe you wrote margarine, in half recipe - butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Habit I suppose. I don't generally use margarine; maybe that is why. But I really appreciate you letting me know there is a discrepancy. I haven't started proofreading my recipes yet. Yes, it should be all margarine. I am going to change it now. Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm printing out this recipe and hope to be able to use it soon to make something with a small container of apricots that I just bought. And maybe a batch of kremes even though my nephew is not as excited as I am about the idea. He wants churros. Shameful for a nice half Hungarian boy ... don't you think? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took a bit of a search for find hard margarine to make this recipe but it is on my to-do list as soon as I have some free time. I'd also like to try making the pastry with lard to see if there's a real difference. Kremes/Krempita/Cremsnit are probably going to be my first use. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So what was your conclusion?

      Delete
  5. I commented on this post about a week ago but it seems to have ended up in limbo somewhere. In any case, I have purchased a package of hard margarine with the intention of making the pastry and using it for kremes or cremesnit which was one of my mom's rare treats.

    This is A_Boleyn (a-boleyn.livejournal.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, I had to set comments on my older entries for approval. For some reason when all my posts are open for comments I get inundated with spam. However no comment is ever lost.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive