image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

10.1.12

VANILLA BEAN PUDDING


In this velvet smooth vanilla pudding, the use of whole milk will ensure there is no scorching. It is possible to make vanilla pudding from skim milk, but it will not be as creamy or as easy to avoid burning milk and pot. Besides, the difference between small amounts of whole and skim milk is negligible. This is not an overly sweet pudding, so use unsalted butter for best flavour. If you must use salted butter, put in only 1 tablespoon and perhaps try to increase the sugar a little bit. Once I tried flavouring it with rum, but it overpowered the delicate vanilla flavour and made the use of vanilla bean a complete waste.

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2-1/2 cups whole milk
3 egg yolks
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 vanilla bean
2 tsp vanilla extract

• In a larger saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and the salt.
• Gradually whisk in the milk and the eggs yolks.
• Slice open a vanilla bean, and scrape the seeds into the milk. Add the pod too.
• Place the pot on medium heat and stirring constantly with a balloon whisk.
• When the milk begins to bubble, reduce the heat and start whisking vigorously.
• Cook the pudding for one more minute.
• Remove from heat and add the unsalted butter and the vanilla extract.
• Pour through a fine metal sieve into a heatproof bowl.
• Cover with plastic wrap right on the surface of the pudding, making sure no skin can form on top.
• Chill before serving. Makes 4-6 servings

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pudding... It brings back childhood memories, but we used to eat it hot, my favourite was of course chocolate pudding and the part I loved the most was the skin (it was darker and more chocolatey) so I would take it off, wait for another to form, take it off and so on until the pudding was no longer warm and the skin stopped forming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I thought that cannot be, the chocolaty-est part should be on the bottom. But no, because the skin as it dries would have condensed somewhat. You were already experimenting with your food and taking it a step further Sissi! Isn't it amazing how childhood preferences can leave lasting impressions? I always have my madartej while it is hot... I make only two servings and the last time I made it I had to go out so mine was put in the fridge. What an amazing chilled dessert it was the following day! But I am not sure if I could wait for it to chill next time ha!

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive