1 cup cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup hot water
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
5 egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
4 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 batch Buttercream Frosting
• Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
• In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine the cocoa powder, 2 Tbsp sugar and oil.
• Add the hot water and whisk thoroughly to combine. Set aside.
• Place the egg yolks and sugar into a large mixing bowl and beat on high for 2 minutes or until the mixture becomes pale yellow and thick.
• Add the cocoa mixture and vanilla and whisk to combine.
• Add the dry ingredients and whisk just to combine.
• Place the egg whites and cream of tartar in a clean bowl and beat on high stiff peaks form.
• Gradually, gently, being mindful not to crush, fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
• Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
• Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, dividing the batter evenly between the cups.
• Place in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
• Remove from the oven to a cooling rack and cool completely before piping Buttercream Frosting on the tops.