8.8.11

WHITE FISH TEMPURA

I don’t like to eat fish, but then I saw Ajiten or Horse Mackerel Tempura and I had to give it a try. Indeed tempura is lighter than battered fried fish. Not only because I served it with rice pilaf instead of chips, the batter itself was lighter and it didn’t toughen up by next day as fried fish batters generally do. I used Jim’s apple wine to soak the fish to get rid of the fishy taste. I may have overdone the soaking; all I could taste was wine! But tasting wine is better than tasting fish, haha. 

WHITE FISH TEMPURA
4 white fish filets
3 tablespoons cooking sake
salt
5 Tbsp tempura batter mix
3 Tbsp ice cold water

- the water should be the coldest possible, so mix the batter just before frying, when the oil is very hot
- the batter should have lumps, without lumps it's not as light and airy.
- Pour oil at least 2 inches deep into a deep skillet.

• Heat the oil between 350-360F
• In a small bowl barely whisk together batter mix and ice cold water.
• Set bowl into larger bowl filled with ice cubes to keep batter cold.
• Pat fish dry with paper towels.
• Dip the fish into batter one at the time and carefully slide into hot oil.
• Deep fry 2-4 minutes until cooked and yellowish white, turning over once.
• Remove; drain on paper towels.
• Serve immediately.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!