RUSTIC WHITE BREAD – HÁZI KENYÉR
Absolutely no kneading!
Makes 2 - 1 kg - loaves
4 cups lukewarm water
2 Tbsp granulated quick-rise yeast
2 Tbsp coarse salt
8 -1/2 cups white flour
Foil lined baking sheet
Small metal container for water
1. Pour water into a 4 litre ice cream bucket
2. Add yeast and then salt
3. Add the flour and stir until flour is just incorporated.
4. Let the dough rise uncovered for 2 hours.
5. Cover the bucket with a lid and refrigerate it overnight.
6. Next day spray the foil and sprinkle it with cornmeal
7. Divide the dough in half.
8. Shape half of the dough into a loaf.*
9. Return the remaining dough in the refrigerator.
10. It can be used for up to 2 weeks.
11. Place the shaped loaf on the prepared baking sheet.
12. Set the timer for 20 minutes.
13. After 20 minutes rest sprinkle the top with a little flour.
14. Slash the top 1/4” deep 4 times.
15. Place a small metal container in the oven.
16. Set the oven to 450F and set the timer for 20 minutes.
17. After 20 minutes pass pour 1 cup of hot water into the metal pot.
18. Take care not to scald yourself as the hot steam rises.
19. Quickly slide the loaf into the oven.
20. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
21. Remove the loaf and cool it on a baking rack.
22. Bread should be cool before slicing with a serrated knife.
23. For thin slices the loaf should rest for a day.
24. Wrap it in a clean kitchen towel and leave it on the counter.
25. The following day it will slice thin and uniform.
* Please note: "shaping the loaf" here means plunk the dough down and quickly guide it into a loaf shape. Do not roll it with a rolling pin or tuck the ends under, not if you want a uniform texture; free from large air pockets.
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ► 2014 (96)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- CREPE FILLINGS
- CREPES - PALACSINTA
- HUNGARIAN CURD CHEESE NOODLES - TÚRÓS CSUSZA
- ROUX- RÁNTÁS
- ALMOND THIMBLE COOKIES
- PINCHED NOODLES - CSIPETKE
- PORK PATTIES - FASÍRT
- EGG DUMPLINGS - NOKEDLI
- BEEF PAPRIKA - MARHA PÖRKÖLT
- APRICOT GLAZE
- CURD CHEESE DUMPLINGS - TÚRÓGOMBÓC
- COTTAGE CHEESE CUSTARD SLICES - TÚRÓS KRÉMES
- CHOCOLATE SHORTBREAD
- HOMEMADE VANILLA SUGAR
- LAYERED POTATOES - RAKOTT KRUMPLI
- POZSONY NUT CRESCENTS – POZSONYI KIFLI
- EMPIRE COOKIES
- CUTTING BAR COOKIES
- FARINA SOUP DUMPLINGS - GRÍZ NOKEDLI
- HUNGARIAN CURD CHEESE – TÚRÓ
- CLEAR BROTH ASPARAGUS SOUP
- LIGHT BANANA CAKE
- FLUFFY BROWN SUGAR FROSTING
- ROASTED HALF TURKEY
- 100 % WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
- TURKEY DRESSING
- RUSTIC WHITE BREAD – HÁZI KENYÉR
- BREADED CHICKEN - RÁNTOTT CSIRKE
- FILLET of SOLE IN PARCHMENT
- STUFFED EGGS - TÖLTÖTT TOJÁS
- ▼ March (33)