9-1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup icing sugar
2-1/3 cups butter
5-1/4 tsp yeast
1-1/2 cups lukewarm milk
1 egg white
6 cups walnuts, shelled
4 cups icing sugar
3/4 cup raisins
3 Tbsp lemon freshly grated lemon rind
1 Tbsp rum
POPPY SEED FILLING
2 cups + 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
3 cups icing sugar
2/3 cup raisins
1 Tbsp rum
3 Tbsp freshly ground lemon rind
• Grind the walnuts fine.*
• Grind the poppy seeds.*
• Dissolve 1 tsp sugar in milk.
• Sprinkle with yeast, let stand 5 minutes.
• In a bowl mix the flour, icing sugar and lemon zest.
• Add the eggs, yeast mix and rum.
• Combine ingredients and kneed on a board for 10 minutes.
• Divide dough into 5 rounds.
• Cover and let rest in cool place overnight.
• Next day, bring to room temperature.
• Grind the walnut and poppy seeds (separately) in a coffee/nut grinder.
• Place the nuts in 2 separate bowls.
• Drip by drip start adding scalding hot milk to both fillings until barely moist!
• Add as little milk as possible to prevent spill-out during baking.
• Add the remaining ingredients to both fillings and stir to combine.
• Roll the first round into a rectangle.
• Spread with 1/3 of the walnut filling, leaving 1 cm edge all around.
• Tuck in both ends and loosely roll up in jellyroll fashion.
• Repeat with other rounds, making 3 walnuts, 2 poppy seed rolls.
• Place on greased cookie sheets without touching.
• Glaze the tops with beaten egg white.
• Chill for 1/2 hour.
• Poke sides with fork, to prevent filling spilling out.
• Glaze with beaten egg whites again for marbleized effect.
• Place in a preheated 350F oven.
• Reduce heat to 325F immediately.
• As rolls begin to get color, reduce to 300F.
• Bake for 45-60 minutes until golden brown.
To grind poppy seeds, you need a
There are electric coffee grinders on the market that do not grind seeds. The good news is these are generally more expensive. These have the blades inside the machine, you cannot see them, and the poppy seeds just clog it up and you will have a heck of time cleaning it. What you need is the basic kind you can see the blades turning. It is a bit labour intensive to grind more than 2 cups of poppy seeds with this small machine, but the alternative is to buy a poppy seed grinder.