image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

21.4.10

HUNGARIAN NUT ROLLS - BEIGLI



The most popular Christmas pastry in Hungary is beigli. Traditionally it comes in two flavors, walnut and poppy seed, though it has become fashionable to make it with chestnut or some type of fruit filling. Walnut and poppy seed filling will endure, folklore says the walnut is protection against bad magic and poppy seeds bring wealth to the home where beigli is served.  Every family has its own beigli recipe, I only recently I got a hold of my mom’s, but since I have been making beigli for nearly half a century myself, I am not about to mess with tradition.


9-1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup icing sugar
2-1/3 cups butter
5 eggs
5-1/4 tsp yeast
1-1/2 cups lukewarm milk
1 egg white
beigli fillings - click on the link

• Dissolve 1 tsp sugar in milk.
• Sprinkle with yeast, let stand 5 minutes.
• In a bowl mix the flour, icing sugar and lemon zest.
• Add the eggs, yeast mix and rum.
• Combine ingredients and kneed on a board for 10 minutes.
• Divide dough into 5 rounds.
• Cover and let rest in cool place overnight.

• Next day, bring to room temperature.
• Prepare the fillings.
• Roll the first round into a rectangle.



• Spread with 1/3 of the walnut filling, leaving 1 cm edge all around.


• Tuck in both ends and loosely roll up in jellyroll fashion.
• Repeat with other rounds, making 3 walnuts, 2 poppy seed rolls.


• Place on greased cookie sheets without touching.


• Glaze the tops with beaten egg white.

• Chill for 1/2 hour.
• Poke sides with fork, to prevent filling spilling out.
• Glaze with beaten egg whites again for marbleized effect.
• Place in a preheated 350F oven.
• Reduce heat to 325F immediately.
• As rolls begin to get color, reduce to 300F.
• Bake for 45-60 minutes until golden brown.
 

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive