3/4 cup icing sugar
2-1/3 cups butter
5-1/4 tsp yeast
1-1/2 cups lukewarm milk
1 egg white
beigli fillings - click on the link
• Dissolve 1 tsp sugar in milk.
• Sprinkle with yeast, let stand 5 minutes.
• In a bowl mix the flour, icing sugar and lemon zest.
• Add the eggs, yeast mix and rum.
• Combine ingredients and kneed on a board for 10 minutes.
• Divide dough into 5 rounds.
• Cover and let rest in cool place overnight.
• Next day, bring to room temperature.
• Prepare the fillings.
• Roll the first round into a rectangle.
• Spread with 1/3 of the walnut filling, leaving 1 cm edge all around.
• Tuck in both ends and loosely roll up in jellyroll fashion.
• Repeat with other rounds, making 3 walnuts, 2 poppy seed rolls.
• Place on greased cookie sheets without touching.
• Glaze the tops with beaten egg white.
• Chill for 1/2 hour.
• Poke sides with fork, to prevent filling spilling out.
• Glaze with beaten egg whites again for marbleized effect.
• Place in a preheated 350F oven.
• Reduce heat to 325F immediately.
• As rolls begin to get color, reduce to 300F.
• Bake for 45-60 minutes until golden brown.