20.11.11

PEANUT BUTTER MELTAWAYS

I have not made this for ages! I used to make peanut butter meltaways for my kids before Christmas. I wanted to add the recipe to the family cookbook and a good thing I made a batch. I forgot I used to have to tweak the recipe. The original topping was scant, and I am sure now I used to add more caramels and more whipping cream to the pot. Finally, the recipe is just right for a 13x9 inch baking pan. If you wanted to change it for a smaller batch and bake it in a square pan, just cut the crust ingredients in half and for the topping use 26 caramels, 1/4 cup of whipping cream, 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and about 1/4 cup of chopped peanuts. Somebody is going to be very happy when she comes over today.

PEANUT BUTTER MELTAWAYS
Crust:
1-1/4 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 Tbsp water
Topping:
39 caramels (10.5 oz)
1/4 +1/8 cup whipping cream
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup pure chocolate chips
1/3 cup chopped roasted peanuts

• Line and lightly butter 13 inch by 9 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
• In a small mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
• In a large bowl, beat the butter, peanut butter and sugar until fluffy.
• Beat in the egg and the water.
• Add the flour mixture and stir to combine.
• Pour into the prepared baking pan and spread out evenly.
• Bake at 375F for up to 20 minutes. Tap the center lightly and if my finger lease no indentation, the base is done. It may appear undercooked, but ignore this.
• Remove from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack to cool.
• Place the caramels and cream in a medium saucepan over low heat.
• Melt the caramels stirring occasionally. Mixture should be smooth.
• Remove pot from heat and stir in the vanilla.
• Carefully spread hot caramel mixture over the cooled crust.
• Sprinkle the top with chocolate chips and chopped peanuts and press them lightly onto the caramel layer.
• Cool in pan on a baking rack.
• Place in the fridge until bar is chilled and completely firmed up.
• Grasp the ends of the parchment paper and gently remove bar from the pan.
• Peel off and discard parchment paper.
• Gently slide the entire bar onto a large cutting board and slice.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!