JOKAI BEAN SOUP – JÓKAI BABLEVES
2 pig's hocks*, smoked
a small cottage roll
1/2 celery root, cubed
1-1/4 cups pinto beans
1 onion, diced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp parsley
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp Hungarian paprika
2 garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 lb smoked pork sausage
• Soak the beans for 24 hours.
• Rinse and pour off the soaking water periodically.
• In a large pot submerge 2 pig's hocks or a cottage roll with fresh water.
• Simmer slowly until the meat comes off the bones.
[Pig’s hocks take considerably longer to cook.]
• De-bone, cut up the meaty parts, and set aside.
• Add the chopped celery root and the drained beans to the broth.
• Cook until tender.
• Sauté the onions in 2 Tbsp olive oil until translucent.
• Add the parsley and flour to make roux on the lowest possible heat.
• Keep stirring to prevent burning.
• When roux is light brown stir in paprika and minced garlic.
• Ladle 1 cup of soup into the roux.
• Stir the roux smooth and pour into the soup.
• Adjust the salt, add the sausage and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
• Add the smoked meats and serve with dollops of sour cream.
* You really need 2 pig hocks
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ► 2014 (96)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- PEACHY MUFFINS
- CREAMED SPINACH - SPENÓT FŐZELÉK
- CHOCOLATE WHITE CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES
- BAKED and BREADED CHICKEN CUTLETS
- OVEN FRIES
- POTATO PASTA - KRUMPLIS TÉSZTA
- PRESSURE COOKER CHICKEN SOUP - CSIRKELEVES KUKTÁBA...
- EASY SUGAR COOKIES
- LIGHT CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- LIGHT CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- FRENCH TOAST for one
- YOGURT CHEESE
- CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
- LAZY PEROGY CASSEROLE
- M&M COOKIES
- HUNGARIAN PAPRIKA
- CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- PURPLE CABBAGE – LILA KÁPOSZTA
- APPLE PIE
- PIE PASTRY
- HUNGARIAN CURD CHEESE BUNDLE - TÚRÓS BATYU
- HUNGARIAN NUT ROLLS - BEIGLI
- HASSELBACK POTATOES
- JOKAI BEAN SOUP – JÓKAI BABLEVES
- GULYÁS SOUP - GULYÁS LEVES
- EGGY DUMPLINGS - TOJÁSOS NOKEDLI
- CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRIES
- BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
- FROZEN YOGURT WITH FRUIT
- FRIED RICE
- CREAM OF WHEAT
- MILK RICE – TEJBERIZS
- BREAKFAST PASTRY
- CAESAR SALAD
- JEWEL BARS
- HARD BOILED EGGS
- SAUTÉED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- PAPRIKA POTATOES - PAPRIKÁS KRUMPLI
- ▼ April (39)