JOKAI BEAN SOUP – JÓKAI BABLEVES
2 pig's hocks*, smoked
a small cottage roll
1/2 celery root, cubed
1-1/4 cups pinto beans
1 onion, diced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp parsley
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp Hungarian paprika
2 garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 lb smoked pork sausage
• Soak the beans for 24 hours.
• Rinse and pour off the soaking water periodically.
• In a large pot submerge 2 pig's hocks or a cottage roll with fresh water.
• Simmer slowly until the meat comes off the bones.
[Pig’s hocks take considerably longer to cook.]
• De-bone, cut up the meaty parts, and set aside.
• Add the chopped celery root and the drained beans to the broth.
• Cook until tender.
• Sauté the onions in 2 Tbsp olive oil until translucent.
• Add the parsley and flour to make roux on the lowest possible heat.
• Keep stirring to prevent burning.
• When roux is light brown stir in paprika and minced garlic.
• Ladle 1 cup of soup into the roux.
• Stir the roux smooth and pour into the soup.
• Adjust the salt, add the sausage and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
• Add the smoked meats and serve with dollops of sour cream.
* You really need 2 pig hocks
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.
- ► 2014 (93)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- PEACHY MUFFINS
- CREAMED SPINACH - SPENÓT FŐZELÉK
- CHOCOLATE WHITE CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES
- BAKED and BREADED CHICKEN CUTLETS
- OVEN FRIES
- POTATO PASTA - KRUMPLIS TÉSZTA
- PRESSURE COOKER CHICKEN SOUP - CSIRKELEVES KUKTÁBA...
- EASY SUGAR COOKIES
- LIGHT CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- LIGHT CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- FRENCH TOAST for one
- YOGURT CHEESE
- CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
- M&M COOKIES
- HUNGARIAN PAPRIKA
- CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- PURPLE CABBAGE – LILA KÁPOSZTA
- APPLE PIE
- PIE PASTRY
- HUNGARIAN NUT ROLLS - BEIGLI
- FILLINGS FOR HUNGARIAN NUT ROLLS – BEIGLI TÖLTELÉK...
- HASSELBACK POTATOES
- JOKAI BEAN SOUP – JÓKAI BABLEVES
- GULYÁS SOUP - GULYÁS LEVES
- EGGY DUMPLINGS - TOJÁSOS NOKEDLI
- CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRIES
- BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
- FROZEN YOGURT WITH FRUIT
- FRIED RICE
- CREAM OF WHEAT
- MILK RICE – TEJBERIZS
- BREAKFAST PASTRY
- CAESAR SALAD
- JEWEL BARS
- HARD BOILED EGGS
- SAUTÉED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- PAPRIKA POTATOES - PAPRIKÁS KRUMPLI
- ▼ April (38)