image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

27.3.10

CREPE FILLINGS



Hungarian crepes are filled with a wide variety of fillings. Sometimes only one kind; sometimes several different types of fillings are used. These are from the sweet variety. Take your pick.

NUT FILLING:

3/4 cup walnuts, finely ground
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp hot milk or hot rum
raisins to taste (optional)

• Combine walnuts and sugar.
• Drop by drop stir in hot milk or rum to spreadable consistency.
• Add some raisins if desired.
• Spread 2 Tbsp nut filling on a crepe.
• Roll up crepe.

SWEET RICOTTA FILLING:

1 cup Ricotta cheese
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp grated lemon zest
raisins to taste (optional)

• Combine ingredients.
• Spread 2 Tbsp filling on a crepe.
• Roll up crepe.

NUTELLA FILLING:

• Spread 1 Tbsp Nutella on a crepe.
• Roll up crepe.

JAM FILLING:

• Spread 1/2 tsp of apricot jam on a crepe.
• Roll up crepe.

COCOA FILLING:
1/4 cup cocoa
2 Tbsp sugar

• Combine cocoa with sugar.
• Sprinkle 2 Tbsp cocoa mixture on a crepe.
• Roll up crepe.

FRUIT FILLING:

1 cup fresh fruit
sugar to taste
Canadian Maple Syrup
sweetened whipped cream

• Wash, peel, cut and slice fresh fruit.
• Add sugar to taste.
• Drop 2 Tbsp of prepared fruit on a crepe.
• Roll up crepe and drizzle with maple syrup.
• Add a dollop of whipping cream on the side.

These fillings were made for beigli, that is the reason for the large volume. Palacsinta nut fillings are prepared the same way as for beigli except in smaller quantities.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Zsuzsa - thank you for your beautiful website! I am teaching my 4 daughters to make the Hungarian dishes I grew up with. I am having a problem with one recipe so I'm hoping you can help! My grandmother made a sweet cottage cheese filling for her palacsinta. The recipe simply says 1 lb cottage cheese, 1 egg well beaten, 1/2 cup sugar, and drops of vanilla. When I mix that together it is a watery mess. Also I have no cooking directions. This liquidy raw egg mixture is nothing like I remember eating. Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Judy from New Jersey USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Judy,

      Your grandma probably used túró. Túró is really thick and buttery. But I would not add a raw egg to the filling. I know that when the túró was a little dry my mom used to add a bit of sour cream to it. I make my own túró the recipe for it is on this blog. If you don't want to go into that much trouble, there are a number of alternatives at your disposal:

      Farmer's Cheese is the best, although it is quite expensive.

      or

      You can also use whole or full fat ricotta.

      or

      Make a mixture of dry curd cottage cheese and cream cheese. You will need a food processor to crush the dry curds; it is not possible to crush them with a blender or by hand.

      or

      Use full fat cottage cheese if the other ingredients I mentioned are not available. Place the cottage cheese in a large fine sieve and place it over a bowl. You want most of the liquid drained off and use only what remains in the sieve, which will not be very much. Discard or use the liquid for something else and then crush the remaining curds with a potato masher or put it through a ricer.

      Add only as much sugar as your taste dictates. Don’t add liquid to the filling, most of these alternatives are fairly wet already. Replace the vanilla extract with vanilla sugar. It comes in small packets and you find it in the bakery isle. If you can't get vanilla sugar, it is very easy to make it from powdered sugar and vanilla beans. Aside from the vanilla flavouring, it is essential to add finely grated lemon rinds to the filling and then you will have túrós palacsinta.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for your thorough answer! I think I will try your full fat cottage cheese suggestion first :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck Judy! Let me know how it works. :-)

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive