The secret of good soup is good homemade stock.
1 chicken, cut-up, (liver discarded)
1 carrot, cut
1 rib of celery, cut
1 onion, cut,
3 bay leaves
3 parsley sprigs
2 whole cloves
10 cups of water
• Place all ingredients in a large stockpot and bring it slowly to boil.
• Skim off the froth, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
• Remove the meat and de-bone.
• Reserve the meat and put the bones back.
• Simmer the bones for 3 hours.
• Strain and discard all the solids.
• Refrigerate stock for 8 hours.
• Skim off the fat that has collected on the surface.
• This makes about 8 cups of chicken stock.